Thanks to financing from the National Endowment for Democracy, in 2020, we're developing a project alongside partners ePaństwo (Poland) and K-Monitor (Hungary). The project, officially named "Local Level Collaboration to Support Civil Society Around Transparency and Participation in CEE”, aims to find out more about the collaborations between NGOs and local authorities. Thus, we started a series of interviews to find out how these collaborations were initiated, in what areas they took place, what were the difficulties encountered and what were the results of the collaboration.
We interviewed NGOs, community foundations and people from the public administration who collaborated with civil society, specifically local public authorities. We sought to find out what the challenges are, the examples of good practices at the local level when it comes to coagulating such collaborations. We looked, in particular, for substantial collaborations, not for punctual collaborations or those forced by the legal framework that imposed them.
Based on this research, we made case studies about:
- community foundations in Romania and their local impact
- the role of city-managers in small cities
- the available opportunities in Bucharest with regards to this collaboration
a short guide with advocacy recommendations at local level
annex to the above report
2. Collaboration strategies:
civic society - public authorities
Based on the case studies that resulted from the research in which we identified the needs at the local level, there were 2 guides to promote such collaborations between the two partners, namely: a guide on the transparency of the local budget and one on transparency of public procurement. In drafting these strategies we collaborated with experts in these fields, but also with NGOs in the territory to tailor them to their needs.
3. Local level workshops
Because the pandemic was against us, we had to rethink these workshops and transfer them to the online environment. The role of the workshops is to finish the above strategies and thus promote them locally.
Webinar în transparența bugetelor și achizițiilor publiceCredem că schimbarea poate veni și de jos în sus. Așa că ne-am apucat să stăm de vorbă cu ONG-iști care au colaborat (bine, rău) cu autorități locale. Au rezultatat câteva ghiduri faine despre cum să „facem să fie bine”.
Din agenda discuției
1. Prezentăm două ghiduri (pe bugete și pe achiziții publice) care includ strategii de colaborare dintre autoritățile locale și ONG-uri / cetățeni;
2. Vorbim despre cum putem folosi aceste ghiduri în contextul actual în care avem noi aleși locali și se pregătește un nou buget pentru anul următor;
3. Ne concentrăm și pe transparența în bugete și achiziții publice: lecții din pandemie, gata de aplicat; cum se pot implica ONG-urile în elaborarea bugetului și cum acest lucru impactează achizițiile publice din anul următor.
Mai multe despre proiect pe https://funky.ong/cetateni-primarie/
Posted by Funky Citizens on Thursday, 17 December 2020
4. The Conspiracy for democracy conference
We ended the project with the Conspiracy for Democracy online conference - an opportunity for the public to learn more about the effects of the pandemic on local authorities in Central and Eastern Europe. You can watch the guests' speeches below, with English subtitles.